I celebrate Pride Month with John Sovec by discussing how we non-queer people can become better allies to the LGBTQ+ community.
This is an important episode, I want to become a better ally and help with awareness so others can become better allies too. If you find value in what John and I are talking about, please share it with your family and friends. Because if you find value in it, they will too
John is therapist, coach and counselor and also a nationally recognized expert on the coming out process for LGBT teens. He works with both teens and their families to ease the experience and open up channels for communication and understanding. So who better to have on to learn how we can move from chaos to peace to becoming better allys to the LGBTQ+ community around us.
We talk about:
- what Pride Month means to John personally
- the June 1969 riots at New York City's Stonewall Inn where Pride Month started
- How we non-queer people can be a better ally
- John gives us words that we can say to take a stand for our LGBTQ friends and neighbours
- What the most supportive way is to react to someone coming out to us
- What to say and do and what NOT to say and do if we think we know someone who hasn't come out yet, even if it's your own child.
Coming out is a life-long process. Why we are having this conversation? Because my comfort with my queer identity is very deep and affirmed in me.
But there are other people who may not be comfortable talking in a public medium about their queer identity and it is important to respect the boundaries of that person rather than trying to be forceful.
Create an environment where they could share with you if they felt they wanted to but don't try and push the button.
Also don't miss the little side-note John brought up around 31 minutes in about what it actually means when someone tells you they are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer. Because it doesn't just mean you know now their sexual orientation, there is so much more to this!
Again, if you find value in what John and I are talking about, please share it with your family and friends. Because if you find value in it, they will too
is a therapist/coach in private practice in Pasadena California who works with clients on career transitions, goal setting, and motivation. He is the clinical consultant for The Life Group LA , adjunct faculty at Phillips Graduate Institute and guest lecturer at Alliant University and USC School of Social Work. John is currently a member of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
John Sovec is the author of multiple publications, is an internationally recognized speaker, and maintains a private practice. John is a respected trainer and presenter in the corporate, educational and non-profit sectors with over thirty years experience. John has designed professional training models and seminars for the Walt Disney Company, Paramount Studios, Pandemic Studios, Electronic Arts, and Washington Mutual, His work has been featured on The Riki Lake Show, OWN, Bravo, FOX, The Advocate, KTLA, ABC, LA Talk Radio, The Washington Post and columns for Huffington Post and Good Therapy.
- If you want to know more about my background check out my about page
- Check out the eBook that I co-authored with Vicki McLeodFrom Chaos to Peace - a simple program to clear your clutter and change your life
- Join my Facebook Community